Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My First Knit-a-Long!

I've been wanting to join a KAL for quite awhile, but have never found quite the right one. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of great ones out there, but I am a pretty slow knitter, so anything with any kind of a time constraint is pretty much out! But now I've found Zimmermania. I've been an EZ fan for sometime- the first book of hers I bought was Knitters Almanac. I remember the day I bought it. My sister was visiting from Australia. On a Chicago-cold December day we went to this shop, where I purchased the book. Then we went to this cafe (before it added it's fancy new section). We sat in front of the fire and drank hot chocolate out of bowls...and I couldn't put the book down. I just loved it. Unfortunately, I have only made one thing from it so far. The Maltese Fisherman's hat.

Maltese Fisherman's Hat [aka The Helmet]

This was one of the most fun pieces I have ever made, and it was so quick. I went to a different cafe, and cast on, and cast off during ONE session on their couch (but I did have more than one coffee!). Anyway, it is hard to explain, but it was just SO much fun to use EZ's 'pithy directions' and see how they unfolded. It is knit in Misti Alpaca Bulky, so is very soft, and the design is great- the back flap covers the ears perfectly. My only issue is that most brimless hats look terrible on me- i was thinking about adding a crocheted border/brim at the front, and adding some ties similar to an earflap hat, but I remember what EZ said about mixing the grain and the grape. How about a pin of some sort? (And yes, it does look better on the pin than on me!)

MFH 2

(Apologies for the shakey photo...it was now or another week for this photo)


Maybe I just need to admit defeat and find someone with the kind of face shape that looks good in beanies...

Future EZ projects? I'm hoping to start the Moccasin socks within the next week, and also a Tomten for the Dulaan project. Stay tuned.

PS: Progress continues on the acrylic cardi- halfway through the right front....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home